Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Peeing in a jug

An update.  So…I mentioned in a previous entry that my doctor was checking my hormones to see if they were affecting my sex drive and my health in general.  I'm going to tell you what we found.

I wasn't going to go into my health issues on this blog.  I have another blog for that.  But, I realize now that this blog wouldn't be complete without telling you about the health problems I'm facing.  They play a big part in my lack of libido.

I'm going to keep this brief.  I don't remember a time when I was ever "normal".  I began going through puberty at 5.  Yes, you read that right…5.  I was sent to a growth clinic to figure out why and they found nothing.  At 12 I started having some issues that indicated a more serious problem.  I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) 2 years later.  At 19, I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism and have been taking Synthroid since.  At 29, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and am on a gluten free diet.  In January of this year, I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure and Diabetes.  This was especially shocking to me because I have a very healthy diet.

I have symptoms that are not explained by any of the above illnesses.  They all descended on me about the time that my libido punked out.  These are the symptoms that sent me back to the doctor recently.  After years of being told that my symptoms must be falling under the umbrella of something I already have, I've finally found a doctor that sees that something else is wrong.  She's run a bunch of tests.

These test results were both good and bad.  She has ruled out some illnesses that were possibilities…Lupus being one.  She's discovered that I don't have the normal PCOS hormone profile.  She's happy with where my blood sugar is…through massive diet changes I'm no longer in the diabetic range.  But, the most important thing she's found is that my cortisol is really elevated.  I now have to go through many more tests starting with a 24 hour urinary cortisol (I get to pee in a jug).  We need to figure out why my cortisol is so high, especially in the evening and at night.  Ultrasounds, CT scans and MRI's are in my future.

Essentially, there's a strong possibility that I have a tumor in my adrenals or Pituitary.  There's a strong possibility that I have something known as Cushing's Disease or Syndrome.

Well, this explains why I've been so unwell.  Even if I don't have a tumor, my cortisol is way too high.  The body doesn't repair properly when cortisol is as high as mine is.  It also explains why my libido is just gone.  I used to be so horny.  I swear.  And lastly, it also explains why I crossed the line into Diabetes despite a very good diet.

So, that's where I am.  I've been feeling overwhelmed and am tired from all of the running around to the doctor.  I know I haven't been posting as regularly as I was, I've just been so exhausted.

I really hadn't planned on sharing this info with you all.  But, I realized that to have a blog dealing with low libido and saving a marriage, I needed to include anything that was relevant or it would be dishonest.

Being that I'm so run down these days, I'm going to open up the mic to my readers.  If you'd like to share anything that relates to this blog, about dominance/submission, low libido, marital repair…anything, feel free to write me at my email address in my profile.  I'll post most of these messages anonymously in my blog (unless you ask me not to, of course).  Or, of course, you can always just leave a comment.

With so many readers, I'm sure someone has something to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment