Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oh how I love him, let me count the ways...

After that lengthy list of issues, you may be thinking one of two things.  You may be thinking that I'm insane to stay with him, or that I'm just insane :).  I swear, neither of those things are true (well, I might be a little crazy, aren't we all?).  All of what I said is accurate, but that's not the whole story.

Despite these things, Scott is a truly kind and wonderful person.  We all have our faults and he's no exception.  Some of these "irregularities of character" are double-sided.  His fault becomes a virtue in a certain light.

His grumpy snarkiness has a brighter side, he's a fundamentally honest person.  I'm not sure he would know how to lie if his life depended on it.  He really does have no self-censoring mechanism.  It makes dealing with him very easy in a lot of ways.  I know that if he says something, he really means it.  I don't have to worry that he's going to say one thing and mean another.  It's just not part of who he is.

His impulsiveness comes out in romantic ways as well.  His proposal to me was heartfelt and spontaneous.  When he buys me flowers, it's not because he thinks he's in the doghouse, it's because he saw them and they made him think of me.  There's an innocence to him that is very appealing.

His rebelliousness is not a virtue in the normal sense, but it's a virtue to me.  I am not your run of the mill person either.  I really value his streak of independence.  He doesn't usually think like or want what the average person does.  This allows me to let my freak flag fly too.  I find that refreshing.

He's a really good friend.  He will drop anything to go help someone he cares for.  He's kind and usually very understanding.  The girlfriend he had before me was diagnosed with leukemia shortly after they began dating.  He stuck with her through the whole ordeal (she's fine now), and remains friends with her to this day.  He's usually very supportive of me in my trials and tribulations.  When I was diagnosed with a digestive disorder that caused me to have to completely overhaul my diet, he was right alongside me without complaint.

He loves animals and they love him.  This isn't a virtue per se, but it really indicates what kind of person he is.  He is very gentle with animals and takes very good care of our pets.

He's fun.  We don't exactly have the same sense of humor, but he is often full of laughter.  I love that about him.

He's great in the sack.  Really.  He is a considerate lover, I never go away unsatisfied if he can help it.

He is a natural feminist.  He really has never given me any indication that he feels superior to me, or that men are superior in his mind at all.

He loves almost all women.  Seriously, you show him a woman, and as long as she's not anorexic, he'll find something about her that he thinks is hot.  I really, really love that.

So much of what makes a person wonderful is not quantifiable.  I found myself writing and re-writing this entry multiple times.  How can you capture a person's essence?  It's a lot easier to list your gripes than it is to explain why someone is fantastic.  So, I'll just say that essentially, he is, or has the makings to be, a truly amazing man.  He is the best person I've ever known.  He just has a real problem dealing with his own emotions/inadequacies and I often get caught in the cross-fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment